6.3.09

Lingual Inter-Relationships

I like linguistics. It's seriously a fascinating study, of how language can affect one's culture and even one's thinking. I've been studying other languages apart from English for a while now, and I recently came across this:

"Night" in 10 Languages
  • English: night
  • German: nacht
  • Dutch: nacht
  • Swedish: natt
  • Danish: nat
  • Latin: nox
  • French: nuit
  • Portugese: noite
  • Spanish: noche
  • Romanian: noapte
I think you get what I'm trying to say here. It seems that there are many languages which are highly similar to each other, especially when you see a side-by-side comparison. The theory is that the two groups I highlighted above both descended from single languages - the top group is known as Germanic languages and are descended from Proto-Germanic, whereas the bottom group is Romance languages and are descended from Vulgar Latin.
My idea is that all these were originally dialects, seperately spoken in different parts of Europe. As the settlements became more distinct, the dialects became different languages, but as you can see above they're still pretty similar.

Linguistics is cool. Not only do you get to research how words came about and how they affect human thinking, you also learn a fair bit of foreign languages. ¿Los lenguajes es maravilloso, usted no está de acuerdo?

No comments: